Free Yourself from Frizzy Hair
Extreme temperatures and humidity (or lack of) can leave your hair looking fried. Dedicate yourself to new healthy hair habits and be patient because hair repair might take some time. Here’s some de-frizz tips:
- Don’t wash your hair everyday. The scalp’s natural oils will smooth hair and ward off frizz and tangles that can cause breakage and lead to more frizz.
- Follow a special washing routine to promote natural oils in the hair: CWC- alternate condition hair only and wash scalp only days or RWR- rinse hair with water only every other day in between shampoos
- Avoid products that dry hair like alcohol or sodium lauryl sulfates, a detergent found in many shampoos that actually denatures hair protein by making is less able to hold moisture. Use moisturizing rather than ‘clarifying’ shampoos.
- Use soft water.
- Deep condition your hair 1-2 times a week with Just Coco virgin coconut oil to lock in moisture and protect hair protein. See Hair Help in Home Spa.
- Use a leave-in conditioner.
- Blot hair dry rather than rubbing or ringing it out after washing.
- Air dry if possible.
- Hair dryers, straighteners and curling irons cook the moisture out of your hair and damage protein. If you must blow dry use a cooler setting and dry downwards using a concentrator attachment so the hair follicles are smoothed flat towards the ends of the strands.
- Never brush wet hair. This can cause breakage to already fragile hair. Comb damp hair with a wide-tooth comb.
- Brush your hair with plastic bristled hair brush rather than natural hair or fibers to produce less static. Run a fabric softener sheet over hair to de-static it. Even used dryer sheets work!
- Use Just Coco virgin coconut oil as an anti-frizz serum or hair gloss to finish your style. Rub between palms and finger comb through hair or apply to the comb itself for even application.
- Just Coco whipped cream lotion is a great skin moisturizer and can also be used on the hair. Rub into skin and finish by finger combing through the frizziest parts of hair or gently coating the ends of your hair.
- Use gentle hair ties and do not yank them out of your hair.
- Frizzy hair is often the result of split ends and breakage. Trim your hair every 6 weeks to keep hair ends healthy and smooth.
- Chemical treatments like color, perms and relaxers can also damage hair protein. There is a reason you need to deep condition hair after one of these procedures. Allow 1-2 weeks between procedures to reduce stress on hair.